Explanation of the bris (circumcision): God said to Abraham, As far as you are concerned, you must keep My covenant - you and your offspring throughout their generations. This is My covenant between Me, and between you and your offspring that you must keep: You must circumcise every male. You shall be circumcised through the flesh of your foreskin. This shall be the mark of the covenant between Me and you. Throughout all generations, every male shall be circumcised when he is eight days old.
So we arranged to have a Jewish doctor that performs the bris and a Rabbi from the Dover temple come to our home on Seth's 8th day and circumcise him. THe proper blessings are said and a ceremony is done in which he received his Hebrew name which we chose - Baruch Simcha. It means Blessed Joy.
The bris started off a little tentatively. When we were greeting everyone, the doctor shook Eric's hand and as it swung down, Cal came up unexpectedly behind him, and got accidentally slapped in the face. Oy vey! He started crying and there we were. I held Seth for his shot of anesthetic and the boys didn't like being kept from the room during that. So now both boys are crying and Seth too from the shot. I thought Cal would be ok to watch the circumcision but that was NOT the case. He got scared when all the instruments came out and the doctor started, so Eric's mom had to take Cal in the other room to watch TV. Ben only wanted me to hold him so he stayed for the whole thing since he wouldn't let me put him down. The circumsicion itself went quickly and smoothly and soon we were "celebrating" and having lunch.
The only mishap was that later I forgot (and wasn't told) that I was supposed to leave the initial dressing on for the first 24 hours. So I pulled the gauze off after 3 hours and it immediately started bleeding! I freaked out but it stopped on it's own pretty quickly and we called the doctor right away. All is well though and healing perfectly :)



No comments:
Post a Comment